Why Black Panther Is Important To This White Mother


First of all, let's just get out it out there that I am in no way, shape, or form a spokesperson for whites, blacks, friends, biracial people, etc. Nor do I speak for all white women, with or without children. I am just me. Speaking.

So...

I had this crazy dream last night. I was in a classroom. It felt like one of my college classes, but the room was crowded. The instructor asked the class why the movie Black Panther was so important. I raised my hand and gave kind of a long, complex answer. The following words aren't exactly the same as those in my dream, because I can't remember each word I said. Only the gist of it. And I liked my answer.

Black Panther is the answer to "give me another movie that is not just a superhero movie." While fictional, it includes glimpses into African culture and the problems that exist there. Refugees are trying to escape. This is tied to the problems caused by the racial divide in the United States. Africans and African Americans alike are angry, and rightly so.


Wakanda, a hidden city that uses vibranium to advance their technology and give them superhuman powers, is a city that is untouched by the Scramble for Africa. The word "colonize" is used several times in this movie, with a powerful message. If empires hadn't invaded over a century ago, if they hadn't divided tribes and caused turmoil by splitting land between countries, could places in Africa have their own incredible technological advancements? I feel like this is something that was stripped from them.


One of my favorite things was the focus on female characters. Not only did they appropriately use an almost all-black cast, but they have women in several fantastic roles. T'Challa's younger sister Shuri is a genius, from scientist to pilot to kick-butt warrior, she is portrayed as a strong individual and equal in status to T'Challa. Not to mention that the royal guard is made up of women and is also commanded by one. And T'Challa's ex-girlfriend has been helping refugee women escape dangerous situations.

But back to my answer to the pertinent question, "Why is Black Panther important?" The reason it's important, above anything else, is that it's purpose is to help us understand each other. Only when we understand each other can we start to solve our deep-rooted problems. I'm not just talking about knowing, but about feeling and truly understanding. As a mother, I am responsible to my children. As a community, we are responsible to each other. And I think today, especially, we need that more than anything else. To go back to the basics of society; empathy, effort, and love.

Comments