Don't Let The New Year Get You Down

I hate New Year's resolutions. There. I said it.


Okay, so the New Year is a great time to get excited about goals. I understand that. What I hate is that I always make resolutions that are impossible to live up to. For instance, the year after I started writing I wanted to get something published. With no experience. Hmm...

While I do think January 1st is a great day to set goals, it also starts to feel like an awful day where I realize all the goals that haven't been accomplished. As the years pile up, so do the unrealized dreams. Guys and gals, I still don't have my bachelor's degree. My house is still incredibly unorganized (I don't think I even bought a Rubbermaid last year). I haven't actually read any books this year aside from those I've read for school (but I have listened to a bunch of audiobooks). I do have a job, but it's minimal part-time freelance. And working on my patience as a mom? Down the drain.

So I decided to browse the web to make sure I'm not alone on this. On WebMD, they mention not only being critical of what you haven't been able to accomplish, but dealing with depression as well. Generally, more people are depressed in the winter. Broadly also has a nice article on this subject. Now, I'm not usually a depressed person. But almost every winter, usually in January when the sun hasn't shown itself in days, I have a full day or two of apathetic melancholy. This feeling makes life hard, and it often shows up when I've already failed at a resolution. I start thinking, "What's the point?" Sometimes it's so hard to stay positive.

So, I also tried to think of some ways to avoid this. I went to Wiki and found a few things, which I
will reiterate below, with some adjustments:

  1. Eat healthy foods high in Omega-3s. Salmon, walnuts, and Brussels sprouts are just a few. I love all of these things and could eat them in one meal. If you don't like Brussels sprouts, you have never had them made right. Peel the outer layer, trim, cut in half, throw onto a pan with 1-2 tablespoons of oil and some salt and pepper, and roast at 425 F for 35-40 minutes while stirring every 7 minutes. 
  2. Celebrate with friends and/or loved one. I would say, celebrate with people you have a good time with and who treat you good. I understand that for some people, that doesn't include family. Be with people you like. 
  3. Throw a party yourself. You don't have to do this, but if you're up to it and you have a place, it might be fun. 
  4. Get your mind off the depressing things. One thing I like to do is read, but I also like to scout out places for family vacations and bake things I find on Pinterest. What are your hobbies? If you don't have one, get one. 
  5. Give yourself a little "me" time. Take a candle-lit bath, use a high-protein conditioner on your hair, or do some yoga. Whatever helps you relax. 
  6. Say no to alcohol. The Wiki website mentions limiting it, but I say get rid of it altogether. I know, New Year's Eve is all about drinking. If you must, you should limit it. 
  7. Dance! Or run, walk, jog, do aerobics, whatever. Physical activity is proven to help boost your mood. I know it's hard to get out of bed in the morning. I know it is. Trust me. But limit yourself to one snooze, then get up and work out. It makes such a huge difference in my day when I can fit a workout in. 
The rest of the Wiki site mentions the "bigger" things, like reflection, learning from the past, and recognizing symptoms of depression. Guys, this is hard. I'm terrible at stuff like this, so I often look up "how to be mentally strong" on Google. Mental strength takes practice, and this particular intangible muscle still needs exercise. I grew up as someone who was easily offended and either provoked to anger or fell into a self-pity party. I've had to work on that. Hard. And I'm still working on it. All. The. Time. 

If the holidays are getting you down, way more down than any of these suggestions can help with, remember to call the National Suicide Hotline at 1-800-273-8255. A few weeks ago a student at my school killed herself, and I can't imagine what she was going through. I wished I could've been in the building at the right time, noticed her sadness or despair, and given her a hug. Please, reach out.
There are so many people that want to help. 

May your New Year be filled with new opportunities, new or renewed love, and new hope. Remember, it's okay to stop and smell the flowers. If you need to take a year to reassess, do it. I'm with you. 

Comments